As the days get shorter, we’re seeing less and less natural light every day. One of the leading causes of seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is lack of natural lighting and vitamin D. Many people get avoid the winter blues by sitting under a sunlamp, or escaping for a week or two to a warm country and sunny beaches. What do we do here at Mr.Potlight? Well, we sure do like to take to interior decoration to pass the time. And there’s no better way to eliminate light deficiencies than home lighting. It may not help with vitamin D production, but a warmly lit room definitely helps us feel better. Take a page out of our books and use these upcoming winter months as the time to give the lighting in your home the creative touch it has been waiting for. Here are some great tips and tricks from top designers to help you make your home shine this winter season.
- Play with height: Not every single light has to go in your ceiling. Functionally, you’re going to want to illuminate the important areas of your home. This means, for example, that if you’re installing pot-lights into a multi-level ceiling, you should consider aligning the pot-lights in a way that structures your design around the various levels instead of sticking to one. This way, you’re creating a more varied interior and a bigger statement.
- Illuminate your décor: What is the point of a work of art, if your light misses it completely? Consider installing a pot-light or hanging lamp directly overhead whatever accent piecesplay the biggest role in your interior design.
- Vary your recessed lighting with standing lights: No, we know we’re supposed to say that all you need is pot-lights, but the reality of the matter is that varied lighting sources simply make for a more interesting interior. Play around with varied lighting sources in addition to pot-lights and create a cozy, decorative look.
- Incorporate a statement piece: Okay, so you’re installing, let’s say… pot-lights (haha) and your overall look isn’t very interesting, because (dare we say it) the pot-lights are not enough to create a unique difference in your design. In this situation, you can play with the size of objects in the room and add a statement piece such as an oversized decorative element, holder or chandelier. Play around with panel lighting, and attempt to contrast the rest of the room. Whereas pot-lights accent the décor, your accent piece should grab attention and be another focal point.
- Layer your lighting: Install multiple layers of lighting, to create a layered, defined look. Multiple sources, distinct features and prominent differences in tone, height and shape will create an interesting interior not restricted to single line or layers of lighting.
- Use mirrors to make your space larger and brighter: Have a small space? Want more light, without extra wiring? Put a mirror in the room for increased lighting and a seemingly larger interior.
We hope you’re staying sane this winter, and that you’ve enjoyed these tips and tricks for better lighting. Contact Mr. Potlight today for award winning potlight installation, interior design, electrical wiring and more. We’re your number one Toronto-based potlight installer.